Saturday, November 23, 2013

More about Poor

I've actually been working on a blog post all day, but that can be published later because I needed to talk about this article.  Please read it. This is what poverty is like. And actually, I have to admit this woman's situation is far worse than mine. I don't have children to support or tend to. I don't have two jobs to try and handle while I go to school and tend to those children. That makes a huge difference in my life and I am grateful for it.

Still, a lot of what she said hit home. When you're poor, there is a lot of justification you feel like you have to do, even to yourself. It's this sense that every dime you spend has to be accounted for, because you don't have to right to waste any money on frivolous things, not even the stuff everyone else gets to have. For example, the other day I had an optometrist appointment.  Glasses Time has always been a major issue because glasses are so damned expensive.

We had a way around that this time. My roommate found Zenni Optical, a place where you can get your glasses for super cheap. Normally I would have to wait until I had Christmas/birthday money to spend on glasses, but with Zenni around, I only had to save up for a few months to afford my glasses (under sixty for two pair). This was great for me in a couple of ways. For one thing, it means my holiday cash can be saved for potential emergency situations that may arise during the year.

More importantly, it means that I can rest easier at night because I don't own glasses that cost me over $100.00 and would cost just as much to replace. Having glasses that cost twenty-five bucks soothes my brain.  It's less of a financial disaster if something happens to them. Plus, I don't have to feel guilty/unworthy for owning something so expensive that sits on my face.  Yes, you heard me correctly, I felt guilty for owning my glasses, because they were expensive and I am poor.

Here are some other things that, as a poor person, I believe most of the time:

  • I believe that people see me as a failure.
  • I believe I'm not allowed to ask for things or make suggestions. An example of this is that I always feel horrible when I request items for Christmas, even though my step-mother has asked for a list.
  • I believe that no matter how hard I try to find a major that won't screw me over, going back to school will probably still lead to nothing. I try not to believe this one, but having been burned by college once and watching others go through the same thing, it's sometimes difficult to find any hope in the idea of further education.
  • I believe that I'm best served making friends with death in my sixties, because any later than that and I'll probably be too old to take care of myself and I won't have the money for any kind of help.
  • I believe I am completely irresponsible with money, even though I pay my bills on time and keep my insurance up to date. 
The woman who wrote the article I linked to took a great risk in doing so. She opened herself up to a lot of criticism and a lot of people trying to tell her how she should change her life for the better. I'm sure she got a lot of that, but she also received a ton of positive support as well. I hope what she wrote will open some eyes about things. Maybe what I wrote will do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment