Monday, November 4, 2013

Troublesome Yarn

A while back, my roommate bought me some yarn and it's become quite troublesome for me. The yarn is a lovely dark teal and I quite adore the color. However, I just never could figure out what to do with it. It knitted ugly. There just isn't any other way to put it. I tried to make it into a scarf and it was ugly. I tried to use it to make a bracelet and it was ugly. I tried to make it into gloves and it was ugly.

This was baffling. The color was beautiful while it was on its spool. But when it was knitted up, it changed. The bulk of the yarn does this thing to where the light reflects off of it differently. It stops being that lovely dark teal and becomes this unremarkable shade of light navy. It's like navy that can't commit. No, actually, it's more like preteen navy, just all kinds of awkward and ungainly and incapable of really fitting in to anything.

A few nights ago, I finally declared it 'unknittable' and pulled out a crochet hook. The teal/navy/preteen angst color has now become a somewhat ungainly neck warmer. It's not the best thing I've ever made, but it's an end to the story for the troublesome yarn. I now have a neck warmer with a story. So yay for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment