Friday, November 1, 2013

Faith in Humanity: Temporarily Restored

I was sitting in my van at Walmart playing Candy Crack Saga. My roommate was inside buying things. I was hoping he'd score lots and lots of left over Halloween candy, but that didn't happen. Everyone else had the same plan to snag it that we did.

In the middle of my game, I noticed this woman had stopped her cart by the van and was looking for something. I assumed something had rolled under and I let her be. She tapped on the window to tell me, but I didn't hear her because I enjoy the Candy Crack music. Then she tapped again and I realized she needed my help for something. I opened the door to find out what that was and it wasn't good. She had a kitten with her and it was under my van.

I got out and started trying to locate said kitten with her. We couldn't see him, but we could hear him. This upset me because it meant he was somewhere IN the van. I didn't want to turn it on and harm him somehow. I honestly had no idea what to even do. For a split second, I wondered if I would spend the rest of my life in that parking lot, waiting for the cat to come out on his own.

We opened the hood and still couldn't see him. People began to gather and were all nice about it. They couldn't see the kitten either. By now, the kitten's owner was really getting upset and so was I.

About this time, my roommate came out from the store. I felt better because he's VERY good with cats who don't know him and if anyone could get the kitten, it would be him. He looked for him but, by now, couldn't even hear him. He was sure he wasn't in any place where it would be dangerous to turn on the van, so I did so, hoping the kitten would come out due to the noise.

He didn't come out and the woman began to get even more upset. By now, everyone was pretty sure the kitten had left the van and ran off to some other car. The cat's owner, with lack of anything else to do, went to her own truck. I assume she was going to try and get someone she knew to come help look for the cat.

About that time, my roommate finally saw the kitten. He called for him and the kitten ran out from under the van, but then under another car. Thankfully, one of the women who was helping us look saw him, scooped him up, and brought him to me. The kitten was beautiful. He was gray and very fuzzy. He had big eyes and even though a lot of scariness and confusion was happening, he stayed calm in my arms.

With what was one of truly the best feelings I have ever had going on, I walked across the parking lot and handed the kitten over to the woman who'd lost him. I was so happy to see them reunited, because, having lost a cat before, I know the kind of despair and horror that can be. It's one of the worst feelings in the world and I'm glad I got to be a part of that feeling ending for her.

Oh. As a side note, when the hood of my van was up, a man noticed that  there was a lot of corrosion around the van's battery. Well, just....yay. Now we get to have that replaced. On the other hand, I guess it's better to have someone notice it before it completely screws up.

No comments:

Post a Comment