Friday, November 15, 2013

Victory Over Yarn Gods


The knitting bag that sits beside me was opened today and the mess that I've let grow in there was sorted, unraveled, and put to rights. I think I had like ten various balls of yarn all knotted up together. It was a mess. 




I'd been putting it off for a while. I just felt like I had more important things to do. I'd open the bag, fight for like five minutes to retrieve whatever it was that I needed, and then zip it up as quickly as possible, mostly so that this yarn monster wouldn't eat me.

It was weighing on my mind though. I knew I needed to do something. Crafts are done best when everything is kept organized. Besides, I felt like it was starting to become a metaphor for my life.


It took a few hours, but I finally got through it all. I started with the smallest bits first, the ones that stood out at odds with everything else, like that dark gray and the maroon. Then I worked on whatever seemed to be the most willing to let go of the knottage. I had the yellow before the other colors. The orange came soon after.

The blue was the last to go. I had the most of it and it was in several different balls that were all joining up together. Part of it was just cut off, which meant I was finding end pieces all over the place.

You know, there is probably more metaphor for my life in terms of how I fixed this. I was consistent. I kept working on it. I sorted the smaller and easiest to handle pieces first. I left the bigger, complex masses for the last part, when I could more easily see them with everything else out of the way. Maybe I should apply this to everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment