Monday, May 19, 2014

Driving Again

So for the first time in over two weeks, I drove the van. I was supposed to drive on Friday, but my roommate had time to get the shopping done on Thursday, so that didn't happen. In a way I was glad about that. It gave me the weekend to do some more healing.That was probably a good idea because the constant motion of steering caused part of my scab to fall off. I'm not sure the rest of the stapled up area was all that happy about it either.

Still, driving was interesting. Without the lipoma in the way, steering was a whole other animal. I think I overcompensated a couple of times because I wasn't really used to having this kind of freedom. I felt like my arms were ten feet longer than they had been. It's one of those things that will take some getting used to. In some ways, this is almost like growing a couple of inches overnight and suddenly having to rethink the world.

I was also able to keep the seat higher than before. This has been an ongoing change for me for quite some time. For a while, I was so thick I couldn't even use the seat belt, which risked things by legally and in terms of safety. I've lost enough weight to use it though, and now, with the lipoma gone, I can use it with even more ease. I was a bit confused as to why this was at first. It wasn't like the lipoma was in the way of the belt. Then my roommate reminded me about how differences it caused in my posture and I realized it was one of those things that was affecting my over all body structure, not just the arm itself.

I felt very useful after the whole thing. I was able to drive for shopping and able to help bring things in. Neither of these tasks are large or complicated, but if I'm doing them, then it is some less my roommate (who is suffering from a lingering cold) has to content with on his own. Mind you, I was very tired by the time everything was put away, but strength and endurance can be rebuilt.

I have two appointments tomorrow. One should involve the next steps of the process I've get to discuss here and the other should be me getting staples out of my arm. I'm hoping the staple removal happens, though after the protests my arm did during the driving, I'm not so sure. If it needs to be another week, I can make peace with that. I'm trying to make peace with a lot of stuff right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment