Friday, May 16, 2014

Walking Tall

One of the things about having almost 14 lbs of extra weight on your arm is that it begins to affect your posture. I slumped. This meant that how I sat, how I stood, and how I walked was altered on a daily basis. You know all that stuff you hear about how important posture is? That just wasn't possible for me. Not, of course, that I realized how much it was altering things at the time. Now that I have the lipoma off of me, it's like walking around in a whole other world.

Seriously. When I stand up, my body still thinks it has to slump, but then I remember it isn't needed anymore. I straighten up those extra inches and when I do, my back is set differently, the way my legs feel is different, even the way I carry my weight is different. I'm finding I'm in less pain when I walk. I have a touch more endurance. Yes, I realize that part of that is merely getting the extra weight off, but being able to walk with my shoulders back and my spine in a more proper position helps a lot.

In a way, it really frustrates me because I've been trying to get this lipoma removed for quite a while now. I tried to have it removed two years ago. Hell, I tried to have it removed five years ago. Had it been done then, who knows how much progress I could have made by now. I just kept getting stonewalled by people who feared the process or felt like tests (that no one could make happen due to equipment limitations) needed to be ran first. Had this happened back then, the other issues I'm facing now might not even be issues at all.

I'm not going to let myself dwell too much on that. What's done is done and the thing is gone now. It may have come later than I would have wanted it to, but it did come and there is a lot of benefit from it. Even if nothing else works out in my favor as far as this health journey goes, at least I have this. And assuming my arm doesn't decide to rot off, so far this has been glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment