Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Surprise Proof of Progress

When you embark on losing weight, one of the things that happens is that you sometimes see progress in the most unexpected of ways. This can be a great experience, like when you put on a hat that used to be tight and it's not. This can also be painful, like when you misjudge the size of your butt, miss the chair, and fall. The best examples of this, however, are times when it mostly proves just to be convenient.

I have to admit that one of the main things that keeps me motivated about losing weight (as much as I am ever motivated about anything) is the fact that being fat is inconvenient. The world is not designed for you. You have to be careful about what chairs you buy, about what kind of bedframe you use. In some vehicles, you can't use the seatbelts. In some restaurants, you can't fit into the booths. Depending on what all you have to do in a day, you may have to make tons of adjustments, just to find a way to fit into the world around you. That is far more work than one needs.

Today's moment of unexpected progress was a matter of convenience. Well, actually, it's somewhat a matter of annoyance. We have stray dogs in the neighborhood as well as some dogs that just never seem to be confined to the yards where they live. This has become a problem for setting out trash, because the dogs always want to tear into it. Because of this, we decided to start carrying out the heavy trashcans (that have lids) to the curb.

I'm fat and even if I wasn't fat, I'd still have big boobs.  And, until recently, I had that lipoma on my arm. All three of these factors made it difficult, if not impossible to carry that big, round trash can. Anything that is wide, heavy, and awkward isn't going to be carried well by me. I've already got enough wide, heavy, and awkward going on.

I am pleased to report, however, that carrying the trashcan wasn't so bad. With the lipoma gone and several weeks of working out my arms, I was able to hold the trashcan up high and away from my legs. This kept my legs from constantly bumping it. It also allowed me to somewhat rest the can against my breasts, meaning they actually worked for me in the process instead of against me (like they usually do). Due to my walking, I have more confidence in my sense of balance and pacing, so the fact that I couldn't watch my feet didn't bother me as much as it used to. 

See, this is one of the things about losing weight that I wish more people would emphasize. Don't tell heavy people they'll be happier if they're thin. They know thin people and those bastards are never happy. Don't talk to them about their health, because until something serious happens, that is abstract at best. And certainly don't keep talking about how much prettier they will be, because fuck you.

When you get them to think about all the ways that being fat causes them inconvenience though, and how losing the weight, even SOME of the weight, will make things easier on them, I believe a lot of people would see the benefit. As they lose weight and find life to be less malfunctioning, they'll certainly see the benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment