Monday, January 5, 2015

Building in Sims 4: Completing the Exterior and some Interior Improvements

 This is my completed modern home. It was build with the highest ceilings and has a flat roof like the other desert homes. Oh, notice the landscape in the background? I would like to say that I find the landscaping in 4 to be very beautiful. I think the use of colors and shaping is quite nice. Anyway, while I didn't put a roof on the house, I did add a flat 'room' so I could include trim. Trim is a new feature of 4, one that I enjoy quite a lot. Now, as I mentioned before, doors and windows are a bit lacking right now. This should improve with later additions though.

Moving on to the interior, things function basically as they did in the earlier versions, with some exceptions. The most improved item has to be the fireplace. Instead of taking up tons of room and causing a nightmare about location, these just hang out and do their jobs. This is so nice. Like with 3, you can move paintings up and down on walls, adjusting them to where multiple paintings can cover one area. In 4, you can also do this with sconces. I like that, because it means you don't have to make the Sophie's Choice of either sconce or painting on the wall.
And AND AND!!!! You can now make several layers of cabinets! When I first noticed this, I squeed in happiness for like five minutes. My roommate is still mocking me about it. I make no apologies. This is just so awesome. Okay, truthfully, it doesn't really ADD anything to the gameplay. It isn't like you get more storage from it (even though you should), but it looks really great. It does grand things to those high ceilings. They don't have dishwashers or garbage disposals yet. I miss those because they add to the Handiness upgrade possibilities. Again though, they may show up later.

I think that somehow Sims 4 did itself a bad disservice in how it was promoting the game. A lot of the things they were showing about Build Mode were making me pretty unhappy about it. And even when I got the game, you'll notice it took me quite a while to even explore Build, because I was so certain I would hate it. And yet, I have found myself really enjoying Build. I know I will do a lot more projects with it. Build is one area where I am really happy with Sims 4,

No comments:

Post a Comment