Wednesday, January 21, 2015

That Change Thing

My therapist called me today and told me she would no longer be with the counseling center I go to. I was offered a choice. I could either stay with the center and get a new therapist or follow her to the new location. My first impulse was to stay at the center and let her go. This was, I am quite sure, the fear response. Instead, I opted to leave my current place and follow her to the new one.

Why?  Well, it has to do with a New Year's Resolution I made. I resolved to embrace opportunities. I tend to NOT embrace them, usually out of fear. I tend to just look at all the possible negative things that could happen, basically brushing aside the benefits I may gain from the chance to do something new.

Do you know what that has gained me? Precious little, honestly. The years pass by with little to no differences happening day to day. My life doesn't improve, it just stays more or less the same. I'm not being hurt, but I'm not exactly moving forward either.

Last year, as you all well know, I was forced to deal with changes. I had to go places I didn't want to go and have surgeries and fill out forms and talk to people and arrange trips. Did I gain from all of that? Yes. I did. Even though most of it was horrifying, embarrassing, and painful, I most certainly gained from it.

Will I gain anything from moving to this new place? Perhaps not. Perhaps it will be a hassle and I'll hate it and things will be just awful all the time. However, I won't know if I never try. I'm going to try. It may prove to be a great thing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment