Saturday, January 3, 2015

Building in Sims 4, Foundations and Up

As much as people have derided Sims 4 about a lot of its various options, I am starting to see a lot of real improvements in this new addition. Many of those seemed to have been overlooked in the anger over toddlers and cars. And while some of the Build features are a little confusing at first, once you understand them, they honestly make the whole house creation process a lot less annoying. And I say 'annoying' as someone who could spend hours happily working on houses. Now I may do that even more. I talked about basic room construction last night. Tonight, I'm going to discuss some of the things that come after the room.

In Sims 4, the room DOES come first. You have to build a room, a flat surface, or a deck before you can really do anything else. In 2 and 3, you could start with foundations, and I thought this was what you would do here as well. But you don't. And while that seemed a little strange at first, once I understood the logic of it, it was awesome.

 Now, you will notice in my picture, I have a porch that has rounded sides. ROUND! We've never had round before! I love this so much! Now, like I said, before this, the closes you could get to round would be hexagons. But now, you can do real circles. It really opens up the possibilities.

In the previous versions of the games, foundations could be tricky. They came in one standard size, unless your lot was crooked. They could only be made in straight lines or diagonals. The diagonals were always tricky. Half the time, they refused to even work. In 4, foundations are very simple. You click on the button for them. There is a slide that allows you to choose the height of foundation you want. When you push the slide, EVERYTHING you have already done goes to that level. All at once. That is so much easier.

At this point, you can select the style of foundation you want. The styles are fairly limited, but I'm sure that will change in time. In a way, it was great to have unlimited choices about what to do with your foundation, but on the other hand, I usually just selected 4 or 5 different styles anyway. For everything.

The other thing you see in the picture are windows and doors. Both of these are pretty limited right now as well, but again, I believe that will change in time. One interesting thing about windows and doors is that you can get some of them to come in three sizes, which helps if you have the level 3 size walls and want a door that matches.

As you can tell, I'm really enjoying the house creation of this game. It was one of the things I was really worried about, and it's turning into one of my favorite parts. Thank you, Sims, for getting this right.

No comments:

Post a Comment