Saturday, January 17, 2015

Educational TV Nostalgia

You know what I miss? I miss the shows that used to be on TLC and HGTV where experts would come into your house, get rid of all your junk, and reorganize it into a clean, functioning space. I miss the shows where they taught people how to stage their home. I miss How to Boil Water, where the basics of cooking were discussed. I miss What Not to Wear, a show were you were taught how to dress for your body shape/type.

It seems that TV programs designed to help people live better lives have been replaced by shows of competition and exploitation. Yes, I know a lot of people loves them some Duggars, but loving them doesn't change the fact that it's exploitation. Simple, quiet shows with a level of pedestrian dignity have been replaced by loud voices and, quite often, the most annoying humans one could find.

Why did the beneficial shows end? It wasn't because everyone got organized, learned to cook, and started dressing better. If the exploitation shows have taught us anything, it's THAT. Why did we stop showing people programs about how they could improve their lives? Everyone needs some help with that. Those shows were fun, informative, and most of all, calming. Why did we stop them?

There are still some shining lights on PBS. Every weekend, my roommate and I catch America's Test Kitchen  or its sister show Cook's Country. Both programs (which feature most of the same people) still have the kind of comforting, informative, and fun atmosphere as the ones TLC and HGTV used to show. It's like one of the few bits of sanity left. I'm glad we still have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment