Thursday, December 10, 2015

Childhood Dreams

The tiny town where my dad's family is from has its own community page on Facebook. Most of the posts are about community events or general complaining, but today something rolled by that caught my attention. A house I have always loved is for sale.

As far back as I can remember, I have loved this house. As a very small child, I would always sit up when we were driving by it. I remember holding by breath as I studied it. I've always loved houses and architecture, and this is probably one of the first houses that seduced me.

Like I said, this is tiny town and most of the places there are pretty small. This house is a small, one-level version of an American Foursquare, complete with dormers that probably give some extra room on the attic level. It's also a light, grassy green and for a little girl who had seen largely white houses, that impressed me. Someone had screened in the front and back porches, attaching them like buttresses. To me, this house always looked stately and so different from everything around it.

As an adult, I can see it with clear eyes. The house is very small. It's only $20,000 so it probably needs a massive amount of work. It's also in a tiny town that is miles and miles away from anything and somehow also on the only busy street in said town. Beyond that, I've watched enough haunted house stories to know that ANY house that captivates you from an early age or any house that you dream about is NOT a place you want to live because it's haunted.

Even still, when I saw the place was for sale, the little girl in me woke up and got very happy about the idea that I could own this house I've always loved. I mean, not that I really can, but still. Barring that, I posted a comment requesting interior pics of the place. I really hope I get to see some.





No comments:

Post a Comment