Saturday, December 5, 2015

Doll Power

I think one of the joys I've found in the last couple of years is Amigurumi. This is the process of making animal or object toys out of yarn. It some ways, I believe this is the biggest magical experience I have in my life.

Quite often the imperfections of my craft frustrate me to no end. I want things to look one way.....they end up looking another. Most often, I accept this as just the limitations of my abilities.

With dollmaking, limitations and imperfections become an asset.  Wonky angles add character. Disproportionate eyes add cuteness. Flaws become aspects of personality. The process . . . of shaping, of creating physical features, of deciding on accessories . . . never goes the same way twice. When the doll is finished, it has a life of its own, a history, and a purpose.

Amigurumi is a very powerful process to me. I love it. It can be frustrating at times because sewing is involved, but it's so very rewarding. Honestly, if I could figure out a way to do it for a living, I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment