Friday, May 25, 2018

Project of Influence Album 4

The Album: Rickie Lee Jones, self-titled
The Story: I'm pretty sure that as a 5-yr-old, I believed the woman I wanted to be when I grew up resided somewhere in the midst of Rickie Lee Jones' voice. To me, she was everything cool. I saw her songs as this journey to great night spots and wonderful adventures. People loved her and she was part of a group she called Coolsville. What could be better? Of course, as an adult, I realized there were darker aspects to all the things she sang, but when I was little, it didn't matter. This album reinforced my love for people with smoky voices, good bass lines, and lyrics that ambled where they needed to go.

Thank you to: Mom, for tolerating a 5 yr old trying to sing "Danny's All-Star Joint" In retrospect, this probably consisted of a lot of mumbles/keening noises until 'shoop coupe'.

The Lesson Learned: From this day forward, I was drawn to (what I saw as) the coolest of women in music. I loved their swagger and when in doubt, would emulate it to get through social situations. Also: If he tells you he's in love, he means he's in love with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment