Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Project of Influence:Album One

So there is this FB thing going around where you list ten albums that influence you and don't say anything about them. That didn't really work for me so I'm doing my own version where I DO say things. Influence should be discussed.

Oh and I would like to note that memory is a strange thing and if you're involved in this memory and don't remember it the way I remember it, that's fine. Details of such things are often different.

The Album: Steely Dan Can't Buy a Thrill

The Story: My dad is a musician. When I was little, he would sing to me all the time. One of the first bands I really connected to the songs he was singing was Steely Dan. "Do It Again" fascinated me as a 3 yr old and I would beg to hear it over and over. It was my first connection with tricksters and the concept of tricking one's self. For the rest of my life, I would always love songs about luck and self-destruction.

Thank you to: Mike Dunn, my father

The Lesson Learned: Adults were flawed but that is what made the best stories. Also, singing to your kids (exposing them to music) is just as important as reading to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment