Monday, May 28, 2018

Project of Influence Album 7

The Album: Van Halen 1984

The Story: When I was in 4th grade, we lived in a small town called Marietta. My mom worked long hours a few towns over and her useless husband was abusive and evil. I spent most of my time avoiding the house and just wandering the town. I'd visit friends, eat at convenient stores, and only come home when I knew Mom was there. This was, honestly, about as free-range as one could get.

Anyway, one of my friends had this cousin living with them. She was 12 or 13 (so, to my mind, a Sophisticated Older Adult) and had a room that smelled like makeup and cigarettes. She also had posters of this guy with smoky eyes, tight clothes, and a slinky body. This was my first introduction to David Lee Roth, a front man with glam rock tendencies. Not that VH was a glam band, but I do believe the appeal Roth had would be my first spark of what would lead me to glam later on.

What I got from this experience, with this album, was safety. This girl would let us sit in her room and she'd talk to us about boys and teach us how to put on mascara, all the while singing to the album. I wasn't a teenager yet, but it taught me the communal security that music could offer.

Thank you to: I really wish I remember this girl's name. I don't. It's been over 30 years. Anyway, where ever you are, thank you.

The Lesson Learned: Music can create a haven for safety when safety is what you most need. To quote another slinky front man, if I don't get some shelter, oh I'm gonna fade away.

No comments:

Post a Comment