Saturday, May 19, 2018

Reboot Overdo

I watched an episode of the reboot of Trading Spaces tonight after my roommate and I had a discussion about the weird reboot of Thunder Cats. Later, I watched the commercial for the reboot of Murphy Brown and then the one for Charmed. While I was on YouTube watching these, I noticed there were a lot of videos for other reboots. A LOT of them.

Some of these things are fine, really. Trading Spaces is such a simple formula, it really had no reason to even go off the air. Murphy Brown is coming back with most of the same cast on the idea that it's time to revive FYI because this presidency needed them to be reporting on it.

However, I am more than a little bothered by the idea of so many shows coming back. It means a lot of new ideas and newer shows are probably getting rejected or lost in the shuffle because no one wants to take a chance on them. It means our collective pop culture is just looping back instead of going forward. I'm not happy about that part.

We need more stories, not less. We need new characters, not just the old ones. We need to explore and discover other people's imaginations, not just stay in the same sandboxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment