Saturday, May 26, 2018

Project of Influence Album 5

The Album: Annie, the soundtrack

The Story: My cousin Amber (of the Colorado Murphies) was really into Annie when we went to stay with them for the summer. I was soon onboard and it was total immersion. My Aunt Val (this woman is super talented) took us to see the musical, made us the red dresses (complete with white tights and black Maryjanes), made us Annie dolls, and at some point, everyone got the album.

We would sit in the backyard or climb on the swing set and sing the songs. We favored the songs the orphans would sing, like 'Hardknock Life' and 'You're Never Truly Dressed without a Smile.' I learned the beautiful sisterhood of co-fandom and the glory of being able to obsess with someone else for hours on end. It's honestly how I've picked my friends ever since.

As I can remember, this is my first exposure to Tim Curry. It won't be my last.

On some level, Ms. Hannigan is one of my role models. Stumbling, indulgent, lazily terrifying, and sarcastic to children.

Thank you to: Amber for introduction and Val for making it happen. Seriously, getting that red Annie dress was one of the highlights of my young life.

The Lesson Learned: People who love what you love are the BEST people. As an adult, the most important thing you can do for a child is to validate and cultivate their interests in things. Also maybe something about finding a sugar-daddy?

No comments:

Post a Comment