Sunday, March 17, 2013

Postcards from the Grinch

It's getting to the time of year when fans will be on almost constantly. I'm really not looking forward to that. The constant vibration annoys me, especially as I grow older. With age, I'm finding that what I savor more than anything else is quiet. I like the silence and the peace of it. I like just being alone with my thoughts. It's one of the reasons I am so happy I do not have children. It's also why, although I would hate to lose music, I'm not really all that fearful at the thought of going deaf. Yeah, sure it would be somewhat dangerous, but at least it would be quiet!

I like quiet so much I've decided that if I ever come into some wealth, I'm going to make sure to sound proof my home. Much like the Grinch, I do not like the noise noise noise. The neighborhood is very lour. Lots of motorcycles and weird loud equipment. Oh, and of course the children. I have this theory that one of them doesn't even have an inside voice. I think all the kid can do is scream.

I try to tune a lot of it out. I try to tune out the screamy children and the loud neighbors and the bitchy cats and the sourness of others. I do my best, but of course, you can't filter out all of it. That's just impossible. Instead, I just try to savor the moments like this one I'm having right now, when everyone is asleep, I'm alone, and it's all quiet.

Sometimes, it really is the simple pleasures that keep you going.

No comments:

Post a Comment