Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Tis Not the Pumpkin Season

Pumpkin? Seriously?
As I've mentioned before, we put out food and water for the neighborhood outdoor cats. Honestly, I would love it if all of said cats were indoor cats, but they can't be for us. We have three cats inside (we had four with Alice, of course) and one of them is old, crotchety, and kind of in that place where he makes a lot of biological messes. 

Bringing another cat inside would drive us insane. Beyond that, most of the outdoor cats are a bit to wild to be inside and probably wouldn't adapt. At least,  that's what we thought. It turns out, we were mistaken.

I've talked about Ruffian many times in the blog. He's been with us since we moved over here, living in the barn and eating from the front porch. He coaches us when we do steps. The inside cats do not like him, even though he tries to participate with the family by hanging out in the window while we're inside. When he was injured last year, we used what spare funds we had to get him to the vet. While he was there, we had him fixed as to help control the cat population. As far as we were concerned, he was our cat . . . our outside cat, but still ours.

Only, he's not.

My roommate had to go over to the green house down the street and discuss some things. As he was talking to the woman, he noticed that Ruffian was sitting inside the house. She saw him watching the cat and confirmed his suspicions. It turns out that Ruffian is their cat. Oh, and his name is Pumpkin.

Pumpkin.

Pumpkin.

You know, there are many strange and nonobjective truths about life . . . and one of those truths is that what you name a pet is always far better than what someone else names them. Now, I'm sure that Green House Woman thinks that Pumpkin is a more suitable name for him than Ruffian. She's perfectly well allowed to think that, even though she's wrong.

I'm not saying Pumpkin isn't a good name for certain cats. There are plenty of cats who quite pumpkiny.  Ruffian, however, is not one of them. Not even now that he's gained a lot of weight and kind of LOOKS like a pumpkin. It doesn't suit him at all. It doesn't do him justice. It lends him no charm and I will not call him  that.

My roommate assures me that Pumpkin was probably a fine name when he was a kitten. He is, after all, quite orange. He was probably wee and round and squishy and adorably a cute little Pumpkin when he was a baby. We met him when he was almost an adult . . . a teenager, if you will, when his personality and behavior more closely resembled a ruffian. And he does, after all, answer to it.

Earlier today, my roomie was on the porch. "Come here, Ruffian," I heard him say. "I have some fresh food for you."

This was followed by, "Come here, Pumpkin."

I have no idea if the cat responded, but I certainly did. "We're NOT calling him that," I called out. My roommate laughed, but I hope he agrees with me.

Pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment