Sunday, September 22, 2013

Falltastic

There are a million things I love about Fall, but I think my favorite is the way the cats begin to calm down. Summer is difficult on them. They have fur and they don't like the heat. It's difficult to find places to sleep. Sleep is difficult because of fleas. They don't want to scratch themselves because then we humans go over them with a flea comb. And, of course, we also prevent the fleas from spreading by running the vacuum every day. Cats hate the damned vacuum.

As the weather is cooling down, the cats can be more calm. Today, Ro and Rhi lounged on the couch, sleeping in various happy poses. Because it's cooler, sunlight is, again, a thing of worship. Ro spent part of her day in the window, head positioned to receive as much sunlight as possible. I could tell she was completely happy.

I also got to watch little pink toes as they curled up in luxury. I got to watch a little grey cat nuzzling my roommate and peering out from underneath a blanket. At one point they curled against each other and nestled into each other's warmth. It was truly beautiful.

Fall is wonderful because it allows me to slow down and just really savor these moments. When it's hot, I just want time to speed up so I can get the heat over with. I want it gone. I want it to end. But as things begin to cool down, I want time to stop and just float for a while. I let my thinking do this. I truly concentrate on the beauty in front of me. I stay IN the moment instead of trying to avoid it (because the moment was hot). It calms me down.

So yay! Hello, Fall! I've missed you. Stay as long as you can. Give me cool, quiet nights with kitties sleeping on me. Give me a world of yellow, orange, and red leaves. Give me harvest parties and Halloween and zombie parades. I love you, Fall. I'm so glad you're back.

No comments:

Post a Comment