Monday, September 16, 2013

Scarred for Life

One of my earliest memories is being at my aunt's house and this strange cartoon with blue people being on the screen. Someone was being tormented and I knew there was something quite sinister happening. I had no idea what the movie was, but the memory and the sinister feeling has stayed with me for years.

There are some disconnects here. I have no idea how this movie could have been played at my aunt's house. There weren't even VCRs at that point. To be honest, I may be associating the movie and her house without there really being an actual connection between the two. I'm really not sure because the whole thing is fuzzy.

Anyway, the movie that I think this memory is connected to is called Fantastic Planet.  I put it on the Netflix list and anticipate its arrival, as perhaps this will clear up some things about this odd memory I have. Maybe, at least, it will allow me to be less freaked out about the whole experience.

Make no mistake, there was something about what I saw of this movie that scarred part of my psyche. Being small and helpless is part of the plight of a child. To see it magnified by watching a tiny human at the mercy of giant blue people made it all the more horrifying. In a weird way, I think I possibly recall this memory every day of my life, if only for a few seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment