Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Forward 40

My birthday is coming up at the end of the year and this is a big one. I'm not upset about turning 40, though I have to admit I'm a little freaked out that it's happening. I've been thinking about what I want my 40s to be like.  This is kind of a new thing for me.

During the first decade of my life, I didn't have a lot of power, so I basically just drifted and tried my best to survive. During my teen years, I was caught up in unrealistic dreams and plans that never could have worked out. During my 20s . . . okay, they were basically like the decade before. I basically drifted with no real plans. My 30s were hellish and I'm lucky I'm making it out of them.

Having said that about my 30s, I did learn some stuff. I learned that I need plans. I need direction. I need to start setting long and short term goals. I need to set those goals in ways that are actually possible. I need to find balance, savor the moment, and find meaning in my days.

Over the next few months, I think I'm going to explore various options for my Forward 40. I'm going to consider various themes and paths that seem interesting and possible for me. I won't be doing it every day, don't worry. On occasion though, my next decade will be discussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment