Monday, September 23, 2013

Like the Deserts Miss the Rain

Today I was thinking about how I wanted my life to be in the future. It was kind of one of those tentative Forward 40 project things. I thought about how I would like to have enough money to support myself, a cute little house, enough of a yard to have a garden . . . and then I realized that all of this was stuff I loved about Glitch.

Just as the thought occurred to me, I felt the same sadness and hurt that I'd felt when the game closed. Even all these months later, I still miss Glitch a lot. I miss my little journeys through the lands. I miss seeing other Glitchen. I miss my Giants. I miss fighting rooks and I miss my favorite shrine. That game meant so much to me. I truly had . . .and still have . . . a deep emotional connection to it. I think I always will.

And you know, given that I have such a strong tie to this game, even after so many months away from it, it's all the more outrageous that the game was such down. I know I'm not the only person who loved it this much. I know I'm not the only person who is probably still mourning my lost world. I feel like an exile, forced back into reality, my beautiful Glitchen homeland closed to me forever.

There are other games that I have stopped playing since then. Some were games that got shut down by their creators. Some were games I just got sick of playing. I miss one or two of those games, but only in the most minor way. I don't ache for them. I don't daydream about them. I don't mourn for the loss of them.

I mourn Glitch though. I miss it and I will probably miss it forever. That game really touched me. I wish I never had to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment