Sunday, January 5, 2014

Hella Cold, With Extra Hell

As I am typing this, it is all of 14 degrees outside. That, oh my brothers and sisters, is a bit too cold for my blood. Also, the little chart on Weather Channel informs me that it feel 4 degrees. Four. Winter, I am not sure what kind of game you are playing this year, but no one likes it. Stahp.

I got into a fight with Tinkerbell last night. My roommate had put the Netflix thingy on the computer-desk-that-holds-no-computer-so-Tink-sits-on-it. Tink now feels like said desk is her domain and that anything on or near it is hers for the taking. Normally, this isn't too much of a problem, but the Netflix thingy is technically something we don't own and needs to be treated with respect (unlike our other stuff).

So Tink starts playing with the package, wiggling it up and down along the ridge of the desk. It was loud and clearly something she's not supposed to be doing. My roommate was already asleep, so it fell to me to correct her. Or at least, I assumed that was my role as I turned around and whispered to her in Firm Mom voice. "Tink, no."

I received no eye contact or acknowledgement. She just kept playing with the Netflix.

"Tink, you leave that alone."

Nothing.

"TINKERBELL! YOU STOP THAT NOW!"

Now that hissed whisper got her attention. Her little paw froze on the Netflix and she moved it away. I had eye contact now, but it certainly wasn't pleasant. As I've mentioned before, Tink claims my roommate. She does not claim me. She doesn't even really like me much. And in that moment, as she was watching me with those angry kitty eyes, I knew what every step parent with good intentions must feel like. Her look was "YOU ARE NOT MY MOM AND I HATE YOU HATE YOU!" in its pure anger and resentment. I really hope I didn't cringe when I saw that look. It's possible I did.

I went back to listening to music, putting the whole mess out of my mind. Or at least, I did until about half an hour later when I looked back at the desk and saw that she was  still staring at me with that same angry look. Cats have some very intense opinions about things and cats can hold some serious grudges. I'm pretty sure Tinkerbell was plotting my death, or at the very least, plotting some way to maim me.

I'm starting to think it's going to take this cat a lot longer to accept me that I'd anticipated. I thought with the colder weather, she'd be more interested in hanging out with the family. She isn't. She has thick fur and deep stubbornness. Every day she wakes up and renews her commitment to tolerate my roommate, snicker at the other two cats, and hate me.

I do not like being the step-mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment