Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Blast from the Past

When I went to drop off my roommate's mail, I saw a former classmate at the mailbox place. We talked for a little over five minutes and I was fairly impressed that I was able to stand/talk and not be out of breath or in too much pain because of it. Yes, I know a lot of you can do that for far longer. Consider what life would be like if you couldn't, but suddenly found that you could.

The thing is, the former classmate looked no different to me. Whatever age has hit her over the years just didn't register in my eyes. I guess it's because when you see people you've not seen for a long time, you only see the familiar. When it is someone you see every day, you see the signs of aging. I look far older now that I did even before my surgeries began. I'm not sure why, but I look so old to me now. Maybe I'll look less old when I have a nice haircut and a dyejob.

Actually, the haircut/dyejob was supposed to happen a few months ago. I'm glad it didn't though. I really see no reason to dye my hair until I find out if I have to do chemo. If I'm going to lose the hair, there is no point in dying it. It's a strange thing to type that and know it is the reality of your life now. This is my reality. Possible chemo. Possible long battle with cancer. Mind you, with uterine cancer, having it spread (especially as early as I caught it) is unlikely. We'll see.

Anyway, it was good to see her. She's not on Facebook and so it's literally been over 20 years since I've spoken to her. It's funny how that stuff happens. It was kind of nice that she didn't ask me all kinds of questions like what I was doing with my life and if I had kids. I'm used to answering all of that, but it's really nice not to HAVE to answer all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment