Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Sweet and Simple Sunday

I spent the day working on yarn projects. I finished the hat portion of my nephew's hat and beard thing and then began to work on the accessories for my best friend's snow wonkies. She wanted Mr. and Mrs. Wonky, so I varied up the design. Mrs. Wonky is going to be somewhat of a tart, as is only proper for a crocheted snow wench. I made two hats, two noses, two mouths, four eyes, four buttons, and three scarves..........I made three because I didn't think the first Mrs. Wonky's scarf was pretty enough. I may use the other scarf later on.

Tomorrow I'll start on bodies. I hope to have both of them finished by Wednesday. It's quite possible I will, because the pattern doesn't take took long and while I'll be slowing down to sew on the accessories, said accessories are at least already made. I think they will be adorable. I'm fairly pleased with the first snowman, and I tend to get somewhat betterish with these things.

I'm always a little shocked when I see how much money people are charging for handcrafted things like these snowmen, but when you consider the expense of materials and, more importantly, time, it takes to make them, the prices make more sense. It really makes me have a larger appreciation for the rag dolls my mom used to make.

Despite the hours, I am truly enjoying this. I love making the tiny scarves and little hats. I know I've said this before, but if I could find a way to make a living doing things for dolls, I would be the happiest person alive. I love dolls and I always have. It's one of the reasons I love Sims so much, because Sims are basically dolls who can breed. To me, each doll has a personality and a background. As I work on things for them, they spring to live.

Okay, they don't literally spring to live. I don't have those kinds of dolls (yet).

Anyway, as my awake time is winding down, I'm feeling pretty good about things. Making toys always fills me with happiness. Perhaps I was one of Santa's elves in a past life?

No comments:

Post a Comment