Tuesday, December 31, 2013

NYE at Various Points During the Day

Note: This post was written at several points while I was sitting in vehicles waiting for my roommate.

Part One: Outside the Mechanic's
Today started out fine. As a send off to the year, we were going to Fort Smith to pick up some food we usually can't get here in town. About half way over there, my roommate commented that the tires were feeling wonky. We stopped to check them and, indeed, they were looking low. These are, mind you, the same tires that had air put in them yesterday. Clearly there is a bigger problem than just air pressure.

I'm writing this as I sit in Rabbitkiller and wait for my roommate to find out what's wrong. It's almost noon and I'm hungry and stressed and so, so annoyed that whatever this is wasn't taken care of yesterday. I can't help but wonder if my concerns about the tire were dismissed because I'm a woman. Had my male roommate been behind the wheel, would Ol' Boy been more diligent in his inspection?

Part Two: Outside the Mall
About the time I typed that last sentence, my roommate drove over to tell me we could leave. We stopped by the house so I could drop off Rabbitkiller. We went inside long enough to use the bathroom and ditch our jackets. I suppose we could have just called it a day, but instead we continued on our quest to do SOMETHING on New Year's Eve. It was important to us. We did 't want the last day of the year to be just like all the other days.

The flaw in that theory is that sometimes we just can't control the fuckery that happens every damned day. There were people driving stupid slow on the highway. The place we where we wanted to eat was closed. The drive-in we we to instead . . . I guess they misplaced our order. It ended up being about 1:30 before we ate anything today.  I have no idea if the food was really good. I was starving and would have probably thought my grandmothers "Velveta with Stewed Tomatoes and Shit Sauce" was good.

Right now I'm sitting in the parking lot in front of the mall. We wanted candy and my roommate has braved the mall to get some. People are being inconsiderate. Parking spaces in front of the food court are scarce, and these assholes are just standing around talking about their plans. Seriously, get in your fucking cars and go some place else to talk.

Part Three: Outside of the Papa Murphy's

Somehow the drive from the mall to the grocery store to this place was a nightmare. We got behind the slowest humans in the world. I will never understand why people who insist on driving slow feel the need to also buy the largest most cumbersome truck they can find. Are they just trying to get people killed? Hmm. That is possible.

Speaking of trucks, I will never understand why this part of the country, populated mostly by people who drive huge trucks, SUVs, or minivans, still tries to keep these tiny, narrow little parking lots. Come on people! You know everyone be drivin something huge! At least pretend like you're not trying to get us all to wreck.

Part Four: Later That Night

We finally made it home before four.  We unloaded the van and put away some meat my roommate bought while he was in the grocery store. Then we crashed for a while until it was time for dinner. I slept like the dead because the trip was pretty trying.

Though, as I'm sitting here, happily sated on sparkling wine and candy, I'd like to say there is one thing, above all things, that I am  grateful for. I get to share my life with a wonderful, giving person who has a great sense of humor and a generous heart. There are so many things that happened today that would have been so rough, to the point of day-ruining, if I would have been alone.

Today had some shitty moments, but it also had some wonderful ones. We listened to some great rockabilly music while we were at the drive-in. We talked about candy from our childhood and laughed about a lot of stuff. Our toast for the coming year was, "To no bullshit." It was fitting, funny, and so us. I enter 2014 feeling very blessed, very safe, and very loved. I'm not sure what more I could want.

Goodbye, 2013. Thank you to the people who helped me navigate this year. I love you and I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment