Thursday, December 12, 2013

Bobbles


Ever since I did the beard hat for my nephew, I've developed a fascination with crocheted bobbles. I wanted a hat with them, but that wasn't as easy to find as I thought it would be, because I wanted the bobble part to be on the band of the hat.  There are quite a few patterns with bobbles all over the hat, but it really wasn't what I was interested in. I finally found one though, and truly love the results.

Aside from the bobbles on the band, there is another pattern happening here. The hat starts out in half double crochets and then switches to singles, goes back to half doubles, and then three more lines of singles before you get to bobble/single/bobble/single at the end.

The hat was a quick creation. I started it a bit before eight PM and had it finished before two AM or so.  Crocheting hats has gotten a lot easier since I realized that increases work just like multiplication problems.  You multiply the row you are on by the number of stitches you started with and that will be your final stitch count for that row. For example, if you're still increasing by row 8 and you started out with 6 stitches, your finally stitch count on that row will be 48. You will do every increase on the stitch right before and of whatever works for that row's multiplication table. So, using our example of row eight, you will increase (crochet twice into the stitch) for stitches 7 and 8, then on 15 and 16, then on 23 and 24, then on 31 and 32, then on 39 and 40, and finally on 47 and 48.
Anyway, back to the hat. I really love it. It fits well and it's nice and warm. This is certainly a winter hat. I wore it inside and even started to find it a bit hot after a while. Whenever I was outside though, it was wonderfully cozy. I have a lot of gray knitted stuff, like my favorite arm warmers and my iTouch case, so it's good to have a gray hat to go with them.

It's even better that said hat has bobbles.

1 comment:

  1. I love the word "bobbles" and I love your hat. Ever tried to knit a bobble though? Id just about rather get hit by a bus.

    ReplyDelete