Tuesday, December 17, 2013

This Thing Really Works

Today my uncle needed to know the exact date something happened from over a year ago. It was pretty important that we remembered the date, but somewhat of a struggle. I knew I needed to get it right and despaired about the fact that I probably wouldn't. It's not like I write everything down.

Except, I suddenly realized, I DO write everything down. Well, not EVERYTHING, but the majority of the stuff that happens in my life does get written down . . . in this blog. I smiled to myself, knowing that, perhaps for once, my tireless need to document the trials and tribulations of BHB would pay off.

I knew some events that happened around the time of the one we needed and I began to search my archives. This took a bit. I do, after all, have quite a lot of blog entries, and somehow I kept going the wrong direction to get to the one I needed. I'm still not sure how my brain got that all twisted.  However, after a few minutes, I found the one I needed. Boom, just like that, I had the date.

For a while after I found what I had been looking for, I was mostly happy with the convenience of it being there. It was good to know I could locate things about the last three years of my life and it not be that much of a problem.  As the evening wore on, I started thinking about how profound it was to have this kind of documentation of what has been happening in my life. It helps to ground me and remind me that stuff is actually real. Everything doesn't just fluff out of my mind as if it never existed.

Sometimes I stress over my lack of a body of work. I look around and try to figure out what I've done with my talent besides just make wonky hats and wonky snowmen and be a distraction for others. Quite often my body of work feels lacking to me and this, above all things, depresses the hell out of me.

Then I remind myself that at least six nights out of the week, I do write. I am a blogger and I have been for a while now. Not a famous one or a successful one, but a prolific one. My body of work is quite extensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment