Saturday, December 7, 2013

Winter is for the Birds

Ever since the ice started falling, we've had a lot of birds showing up. They'll come on the porch, safe out of whatever nature is blowing at them from the sky, and fluff out their wings as they try to get warm. The house, I assume, feels warm to them. It's a nice barrier against the wind and snow. We also keep cat food and water on the porch, which gives the birds something to eat and drink. I guess we're kind of like an bad weather refuge for them. I am completely okay with this.

I like watching the birds. Birds can give off tons of personality, just by the way they fluff out their wings or shake. I like to watch them hop around and sit with such delicate grace on the tomato cages that live on the front porch. My mom always loved birds, so any time they're around, I'm reminded of her. Anything my mother actually found joy in is something that makes me happy.

Most of all, I enjoy watching the cats watch the birds. The cats get super interested in what the birds are doing. They'll do little dances or head bobs. Sometimes they'll trill at the birds. When cats WANT something, they make adorably cute faces. It is a bit unnerving that a cat can make a 'come get in my belly, little bird' face and it be cute, but it totally is cute.

No matter how bad the snow is, no matter how long we have to stay cooped up in the house, I think what will stand out for me the most about this early December snow is the cool birds I got to see. I'm grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment