Friday, December 27, 2013

A Year Later

This is the first anniversary of Alice's death.  Emotionally, it's been a really rough day. I went through the motions of it, trying to behave like a normal human, all the while just broke up inside about her passing. Losing Alice meant losing a lot of light in our home. She was a strange, fierce, and beautiful kitty. She loved my roommate a lot and completely doted on him as being 'her human.' She was very loved in this house and even now, she is very missed.

Losing Alice was the first of many rough things that have happened in the last year. We had a lot of automobile trouble. I went through the horrible and scary tax nightmare. Fluffy got sick and stayed sick  for months, which was very difficult on us. Then he passed, which was equally difficult.  His passing was a blessing too, because he died peacefully and it meant he was no longer in pain or confused.

Another mixed blessing has been the fact that the owners of Ruffian (Pumpkin) have been keeping him inside most of the time. This is sad for us because it means we don't see him any more. My roommate has only seen him twice in many, many months. However, it also means that he is better protected and safer. Kitties who live indoors have far less risky lives. I'm glad he's safe, but I do miss him.

Miss Tinkerbelle (who came from the same neglectful house as Alice) has moved in, but as I've written, Tink doesn't like us much. She's pretty standoffish and still seems unhappy about this 'living inside with the humans' thing. Despite her antisocial nature, she is interesting to have around. She sings to the toys she plays with, purrs when she's being combed for fleas, and makes really cute noises when she wants attention.

I miss Alice. I miss the joy she brought to my roommate. I miss watching their relationship. She told him off a lot. I miss how she would chase Rowan around the house and I miss how fat she would get during the winter.

Alice, where ever you are now, I hope you are happy. I would love for you to come back to me someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment