Monday, December 9, 2013

Bold in the Cold

You have no idea how much I hate being out on the ice and snow. Wait, actually, if you read the blog, you probably do have an idea about how much I hate it. Still, hate or not, I have a feeling this is going to be a vastly bad winter ( so hope that feeling is wrong), and I need to be a grownup and face it.

My roommate, brave and responsible soul that he is, handles this madness so much better than me. From day one, he was out scraping ice off the van and making sure both vehicles would start. He drove the van around the block to check out road conditions. He even walked around the house with a long broom handle and knocked icicles off of the house.

Faced with all of this bravery, I decided I would drive him to the store today. Logic dictated that the main roads would be clear and we were going to Walmart, which had a vested interest in being clear.  I drove slower than I normally would, but not as slow as I would have in the past.

I'm glad I got out. One one had, it was beautiful. Most yards were still untouched sheets of white snow. A lot of houses still had icicles. One of the other rock houses had an icicle on it that was at least six feet long. You could kill several vampires with that. The Hill was beautiful, a mix of whites and grays and blues. All of the trees and power lines still had ice on them, which is lovely if sinister.

I say sinister because a lot of the yards were covered in broken tree limbs. In some cases, such as our neighbors, there were so many downed limbs that it was difficult to even navigate the driveway. I'm really glad we did all of our tree/bush trimming back at the end of summer. I think it saved us a lot of grief from this storm.

So I survived the first winter storm of this year. It's possible this could be our only little bout of snow. The rest of winter could prove to be as lackluster and mundane as our summer was. This would be nice, but somehow I doubt it. But as long as it doesn't stand in the way of me seeing my hobbits or getting gifts, I guess I can live with that.



No comments:

Post a Comment