Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Progress and Changes

Today was successful in some ways. I got on the ball and called the cancer centers near me to see if they do the kind of radiation I need. One of them said they did. I called my doctor in Tulsa and spoke to his nurse. She's going to see if we can get this done in Fort Smith. That would make things far easier on me in so many ways. It could take up to a week before I know for sure, but I couldn't start soon anyway. I need to wait a month before my body is healed enough for treatment.

I was tired this morning and even  more tired this evening, but I walked anyway. As much as I may not want to do the walking, I know it's the best thing for me. When the radiation treatment starts, I may be too weakened to walk for a while, so I need to make this month count as much as possible.  Even if the radiation sets my strength back, it will be easier if I have more strength than I have now as I try to recover from it.

I was cleared to drive yesterday, so I drove myself to therapy this morning. It was nice to be behind the wheel again. I've not driven a car since June 17th. One more step towards returning to my normal life. More than anything else, returning to my normal life is what I want.

I also decided that today was a day for changes. Due to surgeries, cancer, medications, summer, and stress, my hair had become a mess of broken bits and split ends. I had my roommate chop most of it off. It's shorter than it's been in a long time, but it looks healthy again. I also switched out the cheap Zenni glasses that I have been wearing with the spare pair that I bought at the same time. It's not much of a change to my look, but it was enough to satisfy what I needed.

As devastating and exhausting as yesterday was, I realized that things could be a lot worse and I have some decent options available to me. These are good things and I should view them that way. So while I may still be jumping through hoops to try to get past this, at least I still have the ability to make the jumps. And now, I'm making them with shorter hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment