Friday, April 10, 2015

Alternative Routes

I have to say, my whole Be More Brave plan has certainly taken me to new adventures. They may be small adventures, but they're more than I was having. Today, I decided to go see my father. His birthday was last week and he needed a gift. It's been a long, long time since I drove to my dad's house by myself. Normally this is something I would avoid, but that whole New Year Resolution thing is still in play.

Anyway, I'd been at my best friend's house before I went over to see him. I knew you could travel from her house to his without dealing with the highway. It's a pretty drive, and one I'd never taken on my own. I decided to bravely drive it. Yes. Me. Miss 'Imma Skird of Driving' was going to follow directions all on her own.

Did I get lost? Yes, of course I did. But not because I failed to follow the directions. One of the streets I needed to turn on was blocked off and being rebuilt. There were no alternative routes marked, so I just drove around the town where my dad lives until I saw something that looked vaguely familiar. Mind you, what I saw was a bridge I'd not been on since high school. Anyway, once I found that, I drove around until I found a street that connected to his. It took me longer than expected, but I did eventually manage to get to his house, all without having to call anyone in a panic.

As a reward, I got to talk to my dad and get climbed on by his dogs. One of the dogs is so small, he kept trying to get on my shoulder and balance like a parrot. It was a good time and I feel more confident about things. I'm glad I did it. I'm even glad for the directions not working exactly how I thought they would because it gave me a chance to improvise. Over all, it was a good exercise in my New Year's Resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment