Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Fine Line

I'm not a parent, but then again, I'm a human of this society, so I do often think about parenting. One thing that always strikes me about the difficulty of parenting is how fine a line one must often walk when it comes to teaching children. A child needs to know that it is valued, loved, and cherished. At the same time, the child needs to understand that it isn't the center of the universe. This seems simple, in concept, but we're dealing with another human being here.

I watched Babadook the other night. This movie illustrates what can happen when a child is not taught that demanding constant attention is offputting. The protagonist's son was one of those kids who would not leave her alone. If she was in his sight, he was either trying to get her to look at him, talk to him, or he was literally on her lap, clinging to her. Driving was a nightmare for her, because he would often have fits and kick the seats. She couldn't even get a full night's sleep without him barging into her room for one reason or another.

And yes, I realize the character is a child. I realize she was his only parent and he was lonely. However, at some point, he should have been taught to play by himself, entertain himself, and occupy himself. Yes, it seems a bit cruel to do this to a child that wants to be around you, and I am by no means advocating ignoring your children. But if you don't teach them to be alone, they will, sadly, end UP alone because no one will be able to stand them.

No comments:

Post a Comment