Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Life Lesson of Sandwiches

I made a sandwich today that was surprisingly good. It was wheat bread with ranch dressing, raw spinach, ham, and string cheese. Yes, I realize that doesn't sound good at all. I was somewhat questioning my sanity about it, but it was what I had to work with. In the end, it was awesome. In fact, I'm kind of craving it right now.

Is there a life lesson in this? Oh yes. There really is. Life can suck a lot and often we are only handed a collection of weird things that don't really seem to go well together. We can either complain about them and angst over what we have, or we can work with those things and see what can be made.

And yes, sometimes, the results aren't all that great. In my life, sometimes the metaphorical sandwiches that I put together didn't sate me at all. Other times, they were surprisingly wonderful. Good or bad, at least they were something. The times when I really messed up were the ones when I didn't do anything at all.

I think there is another life lesson in sandwiches. A lot of misogyny is rolled up into 'jokes' about how women should make men sandwiches. For one thing, anyone who says 'go make me a sandwich' as a way to dismiss you is someone you should dismiss from your life. Second of all, and on the more analogous level, we have all been given our own sandwich fixings. It is up to each of us to make our own.

Anyway, that was my day. A weird and surprisingly tasty sandwich coupled with a bit of philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment